You want to hire a remodeler, but where do you begin? The best place to start is the Directory of Professional Remodelers. These home contractors uphold the highest professional and ethical standards in the industry. In addition, seek referrals from:
- Local trade associations, such as your area’s local home builders association and local Remodelors Council.
- Friends, family, neighbors, coworkers, and others who have had remodeling work done.
- Independent trade contractors, building materials suppliers, architects, engineers, some inspectors, local lenders, and insurance professionals.
Once you have developed a list of potential remodelers:
- Check with your local or state office of consumer protection and the local Better Business Bureau. Ask if they have had any complaints about the remodeler? If so, were those complaints resolved satisfactorily?
- Check with your state’s licensing agency and the state and local building inspectors to see if they have received any complaints about the remodeler and to verify that the remodeler has the appropriate licenses and registrations.